Friday, October 9, 2009

THE SUMMER OF BEER

As we move into fall and Octoberfest season, I think it's important to talk a little about beer. Not afraid to try anything, and attempting to learn as much as I could about the beer industry to impress my new boyfriend, I must have had over 50 varieties of beer this summer. Including the following:

Franziskaner Weissbier - developed in 1363, no kidding, this is an absolutely refreshing beer from Munich that has stood the test of time for a reason
Alaskan Summer Brew
Hanger 24 - all varieties
The entire Michelob Ultra Collection
Dunkelwiesen
Mothership Wit
Blue Moon - the mass produced bother to our local Hanger 24 Orange Wheat brew
Wild Blue - a sweet blueberry ale available at Gerrards
Guinness - the old standard, not bad as a ice cream float on a hot day if I do say so myself
Olympia
Bud Light with Lime
Full Sail
Shiner Bock - a Texas favorite, brewed within 100 miles of my hometown
Coors Light
Russian River Temptation - a deliciously sour beer on tap at Charlie Jewels
just to name a few...

What I got most out of the experience, was a new found appreciation for the WIDE WORLD OF BEER. Like wine, there are many varieties ranging from sour to sweet, dry to creamy. If you are bored with your usual grown up drink and not afraid to exchange some calories in the form of beer, go out and give some new things a try.

My personal favorites from the summer are the following:
Everyday Drinkability Award: Michelob Ultra Light Cactus Lime
Rich flavor and High Alcohol Content Award: Salty Dog Old East India Pale Ale

Best Local Brew Award(Cuz I like fresh beer - it tastes better): Hanger 24 Helles

Most Balanced Beer and one "I would choose to drink for the rest of my life if I had to" Award:

drumroll please........


Drop Top Amber Ale
Well done Widmer Brothers, well done indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment