Monday, October 12, 2009

Canadian Thanksgiving Casserole

There's a rule in Texas that Thanksgiving just ain't Thanksgiving without some Velveeta in at least one dish. The rule may seem as random as the 1960's add above but there is good reason- If there is a day designated to pigging out - then throw some Velveeta on the menu, because it has absolutely no nutritional value but tastes delicious.

I was invited to a Canadian Thanksgiving so I took one such casserole. It was devoured when we left, which is a good sign, but I was dissapointed. I sauteed onions, green peppers, jalapeno and squash, then poured a mixture of egg, velveta, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and a little milk over the veggies.

Separately I steamed organic baby carrots and added them to the top halfway through baking. All the ingredients were wonderful, but I fear I slightly oversalted the dish, forgetting Velveeta and cream of mushroom soup already contain lots of salt.

I must say though, compared to the other vegetable dishes at the feast, the flavors of the veggies in my casserole tasted like they were on steroids. It was an obvious contrast that proves the astonishing quality betweem food raised with pride and food birthed into a can. Thank you Three Sisters Farm - for raising food with flavor and integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment