Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Coffee Meatballs with Pancetta and Parpadelle

This was sort of an accident and a risk, all rolled into one.

As my hero Anthony Bourdain said, "I've long believed that good food, good eating, is all about risk. Whether we're talking about unpasteurized Stilton, raw oysters or working for organized crime 'associates,' food, for me, has always been an adventure" — Anthony Bourdain (Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly) The sauce is started with cubed pancetta, the meatballs have cumin, parmesean, coffee, oregano and some other secret ingredients I have been encouraged not to share. They were freakin' amazing. The coffee gave the meat an earthy flavor that was utterly complimentary to the rustic tomatoes. I never could have imagined this would work out so well, but then the brilliance continued...
See the pretty noodles above? I mostly just picked them up because I noticed they were full of protein (8 grams/serving). The flavor and texture is rich, buttery and sustaining and that's before having put anything on them. I can only imagine the possibilities of this pasta in future dishes, but for now - them and the coffee meatballs are married as far as I am concerned. Bon Appetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment