Monday, October 5, 2009

Arepa Adventure

These are arepas. They are about as common in South America as doughnuts in the US. Simply put they are unleavened cornmeal patties that can be grilled, baked, or fried. For the frequent maker there are handy iron grilling cages to put them in and hold right over the stove top flame. I heard about them from a NY Times Article and watched some video footage of Mark Bittman making them, and figured I could give it a try.

Mine were a little fancy in that they had jalapeno, monterey jack, cilantro, scallions, eggs, milk, etc. It took a friend of mine from Columbia to tell me these were actually nothing like the arepas eaten back home. Thanks Bittman for leading me astray - oh, well, they were delicious, especially when filled with Bacon, Black Beans and more cheese! Next time though, I will add hot red peppers to kick the flavor into high gear.













No comments:

Post a Comment